Download a PDF of the Scholarship Packet
To encourage students who major in Horticulture, Plant Science or Journalism to develop their skills
with further education toward a career in home garden media communications.
The scholarship award is intended as a tuition aid or as an aid in the purchase of textbooks, garden
books, and special horticultural projects to further a student’s horticultural journalism skills or their
garden photographic skills.
Kathleen Fisher Memorial Scholarship:This grant is made in recognition of Kathleen Fisher
who was the editor of The American Gardener, the journal of the American Horticultural Society.
It is given annually in the amount of $500 to any post secondary student, including technical
schools and community colleges, majoring in Horticulture, Plant Science or Journalism, with an
interest in garden communications.
General Scholarship Grants: GWAF general scholarship grants are provided for collegelevel
juniors or seniors enrolled as a full-time student majoring in Horticulture, Plant Science
or Journalism, with an interest in garden communication, including garden photography.
General scholarships are given annually and vary in number (2-6) and amount ($250-$2,000)
depending on the earnings of the scholarship endowment.
Criteria for Selection
- We urge department heads to encourage qualified applicants to apply for this scholarship.
- Each application must be accompanied by a supporting letter from the student’s major professor
or department head, and an official transcript of the student’s academic record.
- There shall be no preference with regard to sex, religion, race, national origin, marital status,
age or political affiliation. All individuals will be judged solely on the basis of their qualifications
and their writing or photographic skills.
- The institution receiving the grant assumes the responsibility for compliance by the recipient
with the requirements of the scholarship.
- The scholarship grant will be forwarded to the scholarship supervising authority of the
institution for presentation to the student or students at an appropriate time and place. The
Garden Writers Association Foundation will not grant monies directly to students.
- The Garden Writers Association Foundation requires a written report from the scholarship
recipient regarding the use of the grant.
- The Garden Writers Association Foundation reserves the right not to award a scholarship(s) in the event no qualified entries are received.
- The recipient of the Kathleen Fisher Memorial Scholarship shall be any full- or part-time
post secondary student, including technical schools and community colleges, majoring in
Horticulture, Plant Science or Journalism, with an interest in garden communications.
- General scholarship recipient(s) shall be a college or university junior or senior enrolled in the
Spring Term 2013 as a full-time student majoring in Horticulture, Plant Science or Journalism,
with an interest in garden communication, including garden photography.
- Applicants must submit a minimum of two written compositions or photographs. Published
works are preferred.
- The recipient must plan to complete undergraduate studies in the institution administering the
Garden Writers Association Foundation scholarship.
- The recipient must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- The recipient must be a responsible student and citizen. Recipient must be or have been
involved in campus student activities and/or community organizations.